Sperm Whale was Found Dead After Swallowing 64 Pound of Plastic Debris

Sperm Whale Was Found Dead After Swallowing 64 Pound of Plastic Debris

A sperm whale was found dead on the Murcian coast in southern Spain. A sperm whale swallowed 64 pound of plastic debris which is awful. The El Valle Wildlife Rescue Center said that the sperm whale was killed by gastric shock to its stomach that is to say after swallowing 64 pounds of plastic. The autopsy found plastic bags, nets, ropes, plastic sacks, and even a plastic jerrycan in the whale’s stomach and intestines. According to experts it was found that the inner walls of the whale’s abdomen to be inflamed due to a bacterial or fungal infection. Maybe because the whale unable to expel the plastics from its system, resulting in peritonitis. As a result of the whale’s death, the Murcia government started a campaign against removal plastic waste into the coastal town’s water. The coastal community is working to raise awareness of the ever-growing plastic problem in oceans and the need for beach cleaning. As stated in a statement “Approximately 5 trillion pieces of plastic are estimated to be floating around the world’s oceans based on a recent study. To make matters worse, marine experts believe the total weight of plastic in our oceans could outweigh fish in the world’s oceans by 2050.” With a great amount of plastic debris in oceans, whale deaths due to ingestion of plastics are becoming far too common. This is not just the first time that sperm whales died from ingestion of plastic waste. About two years ago a pod of 13 sperm whales all washed ashore dead from swallowing of plastic debris. To cope with this quandary, many countries around the world are phasing out single-use plastic bags as typically seen in grocery stores. The European Union is pushing a transition to have all plastic recyclable or reusable by 2030 with many agencies around the world discussing phasing out non-biodegradable plastics completely.