India successfully launched Chandrayaan-2 orbiter mission and lunar surface spacecraft on Monday.
The largest shark is the whale shark, which has been known to get as large as 18 meters (60 feet). Whale sharks are considered as the largest fish in the world. They are not whales; they are sharks, but they have a lot in common with whales, though. For example, they are massive like whales and they feed more like whales than a typical shark. So, we are choosing top 10 facts about this giant shark.
- Whale sharks can grow up to 40 feet (12 meters) long, but on average they grow to 18 to 32.8 feet (5.5 to 10 m) and weigh 20.6 tons (18.7 metric tonnes).
- The whale shark holds many records for size in the animal kingdom.
- The species originated about 60 million years ago.
- Whale sharks have a mouth that can be 1.5 m (4.9 ft) wide, containing 300 to 350 rows of tiny teeth and 10 filter pads which it uses to filter feed.
- The whale shark is the largest non-cetacean animal in the world. The average size of adult sharks is estimated at 9.7 m (31.82 ft) and 9 t (20,000 lb).
- The whale shark inhabits all tropical and warm-temperate seas. The fish is primarily pelagic, living in the open sea but not in the greater depths of the ocean, although it is known to occasionally dive to depths of as much as 1,800 metres (5,900 ft).
- In 2011, more than 400 whale sharks gathered off the Yucatan Coast. It was one of the largest gatherings of sharks.
- Despite its size, the whale shark does not pose significant danger to humans. Whale sharks are docile fish and sometimes allow swimmers to catch a ride.
- The first attempt at keeping whale sharks in captivity was in 1934 when an individual was kept for about four months in a netted-off natural bay in Izu, Japan.
- In Vietnamese culture, the whale shark is referred to as “sir fish”.
Paleontologists Found Giant Feathered Dinosaurs
Scientists simplified a rubber hand illusion
MAVEN Mission Has Reached a New Milestone
Scientists Reconstruct Elegant Giant Penguin
Neutrinos do Not Travel Faster than Light
Starquakes in Red Giants Reveal Their Cores Spin much Faster than Surfaces
3D Video of Vesta Asteroid
Spacecraft New Horizons Will Explore Pluto