It is coming the moment of Leonid meteor shower that we have an opportunity to watch it late Saturday night and into Sunday morning this…
NASA has a news about Kepler spacecraft that has been informed last week. It turns out that the spacecraft’s fuel tank is running very low.
NASA has placed the spacecraft in a hibernation-like state in preparation to download the data collected in its latest campaign.
Once the data has been downloaded, the expectation is to start observations for the next campaign with any remaining fuel.
NASA will provide an update after the scheduled download. The agency has been monitoring the Kepler spacecraft closely for signs of low fuel, and expects it to run out of fuel in the next few months.
NASA mentions, “As engineers preserve the new data stored on the spacecraft, scientists are continuing to mine existing data already on the ground. Among other findings, recently 24 new planet discoveries were made using data from the 10th observation campaign, adding to the spacecraft’s growing bounty of 2,650 confirmed planets”.
Here We Introduce Some Facts about Kepler Spacecraft!
- Kepler is a space observatory launched by NASA to discover Earth-size planets orbiting other stars
- It is named after astronomer Johannes Kepler
- The spacecraft was launched on March 7
- As of January 2015, Kepler and its follow-up observations had found 1,013 confirmed exoplanets in about 440 star system
- The spacecraft has a mass of 1,039 kilograms (2,291 lb) and contains a Schmidt camera
- The Kepler primary mirror is 1.4 meters (4.6 ft) in diameter
- NASA contacts the spacecraft using the X band communication link twice a week for command and status updates
- The Kepler observatory was in active operation from 2009 through 2013, with the first main results announced on January 4, 2010
- Kepler has been assigned an observatory code (C55) in order to report its astrometric observations of small Solar System bodies to the Minor Planet Center
New Images of Vesta Asteroid by NASAs Dawn Spacecraft
Plutos Moons Nix and Hydra
Cassini Gave a New Image of Hyperion
New Explanations an Extraordinarily Powerful and Mysteriously Long Lasting Explosion in Space
Cause of Russian Space Failures
Researchers Captured New Images of Recently Born Cluster of Massive Stars
Two Asteroids Zipped Close by Earth
Methods NASA for catching asteroid