China National Space Administration launched its 300th Long March mission last week. Long March 3B rocket launched on March 10 that took off from Xichang…
Have you ever heard about quasars and blazars? These two phenomena are very popular in the field of astronomy. So, Forcetoknow.com team has collected some facts about quasars and blazars, which will arouse your interest.
WHAT IS QUASAR?
A Quasar is just one of a number of different Active Galactic Nuclei which also contains Blazars, Radio Galaxies. Quasars full name is quasi-stellar Radio object. The center of the Milky Way is reputed to be just a supermassive black hole and not a quasar.
- Fact One; A Quasar is an Active Galactic Nuclei
- Fact Two; The difference between a Quasar and a Blazar is how it is angled towards us.
- Fact Three; The Milky Way was believed to have been a Quasar once but is currently quiet.
- Fact Four; The nearest Quasar to Earth is Markarian 231 in the constellation of Ursa Major.
- Fact Five; Quasars are so far away that they are believed to be the early stages of a galaxy.
WHAT IS A BLAZAR?
Blazars are significant topics of research in astronomy and high-energy astrophysics. Blazar research includes investigation of the properties of accretion disks and jets, the central supermassive black holes and the surrounding host galaxies, and the emission of high-energy photons, cosmic rays, and neutrinos.
- Fact Six; The difference between Quasar, Radio Galaxy and a Blazar is the angle of the stream.
- Facts Seven; If the stream is straight up, it is a radio galaxy and we are not in the firing line. If the stream is angled slightly towards us, then it’s a quasar and if the stream is angle directly towards us, it is a Blazar.
- Fact Eight; The name blazar originated, of all places, in an after-dinner speech by Ed Spiegel, at the Pittsburgh Meeting on BL Lac objects.
- Fact Nine; As Quasars are so far away, their light has been travelling for billions of years.
- Fact Ten; When observing quasar light, the items are more red than they should be. They are calculated at being at the edge of the known universe and that they are moving at the speed of light.
Source: Text; www.universeguide.com, www.atnf.csiro.au
Image Credit; www.davidreneke.com
New Theory About Black Holes
Black Hole is Going to Ingest a Cloud of Gas
Rare Ultra Blue Stars in Neighboring Galaxy Hub
Andromeda Galaxy Exotic X-Ray
Runaway Planets Travel Through Interstellar Space
Researchers Detected Normal Size Black Hole Beyond Our Galaxy
Samsung Galaxy S III replaces TV remote,hotel check-in, keycard and AC control
The NuSTAR telescope from Chandra xray Observatory found a black hole